Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The working from home... whoas

You may know that I work from home, and have done so for several years now.  Thus I am classified as a WAHM (work at home mom).  I wouldn't trade my working conditions for anything because it allows me to be home with my children while bringing in a paycheck and actively contributing to the workforce in my own small way. That being said, there are pros and cons to working from home.  I won't bore you with the mundane lists - just trust me, the grass isn't always greener on my side. 

This week is a good example of the not so green side. In fact I'd like to refer to it as more of the puke, diarrhea side.  You see, thing 2 came down with the lovely stomach bug from hell that seems to be spreading throughout the pre-school faster than Charlie Sheen's tweets.  Sunday evening / Monday morning it all started.  And here I am today (yes, 5 days later) and she is STILL sick. 

Can we get past the fact that I feel horribly for her and focus on me for a minute?  Yes, focus on the shallow, horrid mother who is up to her eyeballs in puke and poop (or as Thing 2 refers to them, the poop-toots).  In the midst of her exorcist-like escapades, Thing 1 and Thing 3 have been running a mysterious fever which of course means no school.  (side note: The jury is still out on Thing 1's illness, I'm thinking it's more of a jealous bug than anything else)  Anyway, this brings me back to "working from home"...

I have a fabulous boss who is very understanding, and would allow me to take as much time as I needed for my family.  However if mommy doesn't work - mommy doesn't get paid (remember I'm a contractor).  So balancing work, fevers, puke and poop-toots is becoming increasingly old (and smelly)! If my clients only knew that I could talk on the phone while holding back the hair of a puking child, dispensing medicine to another child and actually retaining the facts of our conversation... well, I think they'd be impressed (or mortified).  I guess I should be thankful that I haven't had to call out sick from an office for an entire week!

What's the point of this rambling?  Nothing.  I just wanted to take a minute and say, woe is me and whoa to the viruses please!  Oh, and if anyone has a remedy for poop-toots... for the love of God.....share!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. My remedy is not to have kids. Guess that doesn't help. Hang in there!

    P.S. "Jealous Bug" cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No real remedy known for the poop-toots. I've always admired your WAH status and totally wish I had the patience to do it. Seriously though, welcome back to the blogging world! Looking forward to hear how your life is going!

    ReplyDelete